Wednesday, August 25, 2010

ME

I teach. I like to teach. It gives me immense pleasure to teach children and make difficult things easy for them. I dont teach for money, I teach because I feel I can easily feel a child's pulse which many teachers have forgotten. Today i had a chat with a friend after a long time. When I told him that I want to change the teaching pattern in our schools he simply mocked at me. He easily tantalised me. I did not give up. For me he was like another naive student. 
Ever since I was in 6th, I began to hate studies. Books were a turn off I thought. History period was the one with maximum yawns. Maths was alien. I grew and grew hating it all. This same saga is continuing for almost all students today who dont like history or maths.  But today I teach it. I dont want these children to grow old without enjoying education. I didnt have good teachers who could make books interesting to me but I feel I can do it for them. Education is of no use until it invites you. A book is useless if it is compelled to read. Why have our schools forgotten that? Why is it that we talk about an unending rat race all the time? Why cant I change this pattern? 
It reminds me of 3 idiots. The movie was appreciated by all. But what lesson did we get from it? I said that we must do what interests us. Do these schools follow it? A teacher enters a class, speaks for 30 mins and leaves followed by the next teacher and then the next.... how often does she say that " today we wont open our books" or " today we'll do fun learning" ? The children and to some extent teachers have accepted the fact that learning cant be fun.. its a stressful job.
I hope I can change this existing pattern.  Its a dream to open my own school where children come smiling and leave home smiling. where they are not dependent on any tutions for their projects or homeworks and most of all, where learning is fun..

1 comment:

  1. I could see the passion in your writing Sanchi, since you really feel for the subject. There are a few others I know, including myself that want to bring about a change in the education system of India. We feel hopeless though with all the politics. We feel that we can't really bring about a change in the existing pattern because education in schools is a very political matter, governed by the Education ministry of India. I do think, that establishing a new pattern may help to break the mould though. So, way to go! I sincerely hope your dream comes true...and I would LOVE to teach in that school.

    ReplyDelete